Total Pageviews

May 2, 2011

Bitter sweet weekend

This weekend was one of those busy, non-stop weekends where a lot of new things just.. happened and it changed me forever. 

It started on Friday night when I worked a bar shift for an agency at the Dutch Consulate in Constantia, watching them in their orange ties & sparkling personalities as they partied with free Heinekens and Wine to celebrate the Dutch Queen's birthday. The Dutch definitely know how to drink & party that's for sure! After the shift I went to close friends' house warming where a bunch of us just laughed and chatted, juggling with naartjies, looking at old school photos, catching up and jamming to classic tunes. Then moved on to Saturday where I chilled with my best friend and her mom at a three-storey house in Kommetjie on the hill, watching as the sun slowly set over the ocean and having a good 'ol girls laughing session. The house was build by the people who still lives in it and has so much character! The house smells like leather as you walk through a room full of handbags hung from the roof that she makes herself & as you walk through the house there are shelves and shelves with 100's of books. I took a dusty old book from the shelf and on the first page was a handwritten note from a friend in 1950. I haven't seen so many books in one place except in a library! Saturday night I worked a doorshift at Zula Bar in Long Street until 1am where the Rudimentals performed (an icredible South African SKA band) & I appreciated all the vibey foreigners who walked through the door. The one thing I love most about working odd jobs are the different types of people you get to meet from all over the world. I find it strange to watch people speak in languages I don't understand, wondering what they are saying and what type of personalities they have compared to South Africans. Sunday I worked in Hout Bay helping a Dr set up a Ppt presentation for a conference. I learnt about the world of Dentistry and everything that goes with it! Damn interesting but gross to look at pictures of disgusting, broken, chipped, yellow-black teeth and how it is fixed up to look brand new and...normal! Afterwards I moved onto Westlake Arms with a bunch of friends, watched the soccer, then went to Brass Bell for a friends' birthday, afterwards made a mission to Knoxville in Kloofstreet, Stones in Longstreet and another place?! Today (Monday) I worked in Houtbay again for 7 hours and afterwards joined some friends in Kalk Bay Harbour to watch my BF fish but when I arrived it started STORMING (Obviously the fishing had ended & he didn't catch anything. AGAIN! Shame). My best friend then treated us to Spaghetti Bolognaise with Ostrich meat..Something I had never tasted before but it tasted DAMN good!

In between all these crazy adventures, my best friend broke up with her bf of two years, a friend lost a close friend to a Brain Tumor & another close friend's kitten got run over by a car and the bank took my last R100 off a debit order into a savings account I can't touch for 12 months! As much as I have incredible momories and feeling the effects from all the late nights and non-stop adventures I can't help but push my smiles aside for all of the above. They are all incredibly heartbreaking stories & sad endings...

Lessons learnt over the weekend?

Live like there is no tomorrow, appreciate your healthy state of being & the people you love! Tomorrow really might not be there and we can run out of chances and opportunities at any minute when we say "I'll phone them tomorrow" "I'll do it tomorrow" "There is always another time" "We should catch up sometime" "See you when I see you"...

Live For Today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment