Total Pageviews

Mar 7, 2011

PR Net gatherings

One of my favourite things to do, is attend workshops and conferences to learn more about the PR/Communications Industry. The one place I discovered, is PR-Net. Here, professionals in the Industry come together at different Hotels, Restaurants and Cafe's to listen to an influential speaker. The last one I attended, was at Cafe Sophia in Greenpoint on March 3, 2011.

Photo below, from left: PR friend (Going to kill me for forgetting her name!), MissRamsay, Sjaak Louwerse (exchange student from Holland)

Brian Joss,Cape Community Newspapers News Editor,  informed us on how NOT to irritate the Media! I must say I learnt a few tricks and included myself in many of the irritating stories he told about past communications!!

My favourite part about this specific gathering, is that I influenced an exchange student to come and attend the function with me and to give feedback in his essay to Holland about these gatherings. I loved it and I know he did too! We spoke about all that he has done since he has been in Cape Town - from Bungi Jumping to attending the U2 concert, to riding in the taxis and talking about how serious they are about collecting the money in the taxis and how nice they were to him.

Only critique I have about this specific gathering, is the noise and bad sound set-up. Most of us couldn't hear what was going on and got annoyed. But I know that Brian Berkman is a man of perfection and ensures that all his gatherings run perfectly and that the sound will be perfect at the gatherings from now onwards.

Photo above, from left: MissRamsay, Brian Berkman, Sjaak Louwerse, PR Friend (She is also going to kill me if she finds out I forgot her name...)

Brian Berkman is a role model to me because of all he has achieved! One of them being the PR-Net meetings! As a student who has very limited funds, I always make sure that I put R100 aside each month to attend his gatherings. It's a great networking opportunity and every talk touches my career in some way.

http://pr-net.co.za/


No comments:

Post a Comment