Total Pageviews

Feb 16, 2012

My embarrassing moment - How hard is it to follow instructions?

To follow an instruction means to give someone a direction or order to do something 

Let me explain this statement by sharing my embarrassing episode yesterday. To those of you who know me it will come as no shock that I experienced this, and to those who don't know me...these kind of experiences happen to me all the time.

Let me briefly explain that I'm completing the last two of five subjects part-time, my fifth year, to obtain my Degree in Public Relations Management and one of my classes takes place on a Wednesday evening at 17h15. The first class started last week but I was unable to attend. This week I got to class half an hour early. The lecturer and a few students were already in class. The lecturer noticed that I was new and told me I wasn't on the class list. I gave her my details and she informed me that class started two weeks ago (not last week as I first thought) and an assessment was due for today and a presentation for the following week (now I'm worried). She pointed me in the direction of a student who helped me get updated with what I had already missed and I wrote the three pages of notes, homework and instructions I now needed to catch up on. We proceeded with class and were asked to do a group activity.

I looked around and only saw unfamiliar faces so I messaged two classmates asking them where they were because I was in class and they weren't --> at which time my cellphone battery died. An hour into the lecture halfway through completing the activity I asked the student what class it was and she informed me that it was English 1.. a first year part-time class..... NOT a fifth year Research Methodology class! In total embarrassment I looked at her and started giggling, informed her that I was actually a fifth year student and in the wrong class. She looked at me as if she was saying "how stupid can you be?" I could feel my face going completely red and I couldn't stop giggling about what had just happened and I simply got up and walked out.

What happened you wonder? Let's see -->
  • In the previous class they moved the lecture room because of a technical mishap -> No one informed me... 
  • Before I could get a reply from my classmates as to where they were, my battery died.
  • Seeing all the unfamiliar faces didn't worry me because it was a new class and part-time students change every year.
  • I thought the work we were doing was part of the syllabus! I mean as far as I know I'm in the right class! 
Taken from www.clipartof.com - as an illustration of how I felt... 
I started walking around looking for my class and eventually found it, and hour and a half late! But I made it..

How hard is it to follow instructions? In my opinion it depends on the level of communication shared! 

By far, one of my most embarrassing episodes!




4 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Mich, I know its not funny, but oh my heavens it was funny. You should have seen YOUR face :) at least you got to class eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Im sure it WAS funny! I felt how red my face was! Defs one for the books! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh,em,gee - sorry, this is hysterically funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im happy you weren't there to see it because you would have probably laughed the hardest! :

      Delete