Nothing better than kicking our feet up on a Friday after work, joining friends for a few drinks to let loose and relax! Well, that's exactly what I did over the weekend, only to end up totally smashed after the rugby at Newlands Stadium and experiencing my first real blackout.
I was HAPPY, excited and ready to have fun! Well, maybe too much fun! I won't go into details but lets just say I learnt my lesson on how much to drink in a short space of time! I didn't plan to do it, I didn't plan to go so overboard. It kind of just spiraled out of control very slowly!
What I learnt is that women are more susceptible to blackouts than men due to the way we metabolize alcohol. The faster you consume alcohol, the faster your blood level rises, the drunker you get, the more you forget. Simple. What happens then is you forget parts of the night / conversations / actions and this leads to unprotected sex, vandalism, driving and arguments and fights (NIAAA, 2004). My effect was arguments and luckily I wasn't driving! I said things to people that I don't remember, only to be told by my bf that I was a total bitch to many people, unnecessarily. I deserved that!
It's so easy to get carried away when you're out and about, having fun and just being young and I suppose a bit reckless. There are things that we get taught, but there are things that we have to experience. I've gone out many times and the night ended up fine, no problems. But I guess at one point we will all experience, or have experienced the ugly side of drinking.
BIG lesson learnt! Sorry to those I hurt and for the way I acted!
Here is my simple checklist to drink RESPONSIBLY:
1. EAT before drinking
2. Drink slowly
3. Go easy on those shooters
4. Don't drive
CHECK OUT THIS INTERACTIVE MAP OF THE BODY AND THE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON THE BODY ---> http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcohol-and-your-health.cfm
Read more on the effects of alcohol here
Check out the Infographic by Altivex Creative Foundry showing alcohol consumption by SA compared to other countries.
![]() |
| Alcohol consumption in South Africa (Altivex Creative Foundry) |
List of references
NIAAA, 2004, Alcohol Alert, Available here


No comments:
Post a Comment