As much as I love social media, it has become a very time-consuming activity in my life.
What used to be a cup of coffee in the morning, has been replaced by a cup of coffee in front of the computer checking Facebook. Now it has escalated to me having to check Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Skype, WhatsApp, Hotmail, Blogger, Google Reader etc etc.
I love social media because it allows me to stay in touch with friends I have met all over the world! I love checking photo's and getting to know everyone in a more personal capacity, something that was impossible a couple of years ago. When I visit my hometown, no one can tell me anything because I know who got engaged, married, had kids and even what their names are - all from the comfort of my home in Cape Town. It allows me to connect and network in a business capacity and learn.
I don't like social media because it is time-consuming and fast-paced. It is full of noise and useless information and it becomes a waste of time. I love hating it because I am addicted to it! I can never get enough.
I also dislike it because it has taken the personal touch away from people. Gone are the days when we had a catch-up session over a cup of coffee. Gone are the hand-made birthday invitations (It is now an event created on Facebook). Gone are the face-to-face confrontations, which in my case still ends up happening therefore I wasted my time discussing it online.
I don't remember the last time I wrote a letter or received a birthday invitation...
I miss the personal touches that used to be...But I love the new world that has come to be!!
I am more for social media than against because it makes life more interesting!
New school or old school seems to be the dilemma. I love parts of old school and also of new school, but sometimes waiting for a letter, filled with anticipation seems better than the instant response of today mediated world. Miss the anticipation, miss the waiting, miss the unexpected and the time to contemplate. Love the rush
ReplyDelete