Jennifer was still skeptical about the whole speed dating scene. Her work colleague Olivia insisted she try it again.
On their way to the fancy 5-star Hotel in town, Jennifer nervously rolls her curls through her neatly polished finger nails and says to Olivia "Why on earth are we doing this again?" to which Olivia replied: "Because everybody deserves a second chance!"
The last time they went speed dating, Jennifer had two choices - an IT engineer where the conversation was overshadowed by fancy IT jargon, or her ex-boyfriend who tracked her down to patch things up. Having had experienced the awkwardness of the situation, Jennifer did not want to go through it again!
But there they were, Jennifer uncomfortably smiling, and Olivia telling her to just chill out! They finally arrive at the new Hotel and feel welcomed by the beautiful fountain shooting water high up into the sky with lights flickering in between the rays of water.
Olivia enters the building first and observes the overwhelming smell of aftershave... "Jennifer! Hurry up! They are about to start!" Jennifer tries to brisk-walk carefully towards Olivia and as she reaches her, her foot slips out of her Prada heel and falls flat on her face. Olivia bursts out laughing and helps her up. Jennifer storms out of the building, holding one shoe, hair pointing in different directions and bumps into a man outside by the fountain waiting for his car. "Are you ok?" he says. She looks up and says "I'm fine I'm so sor....." She looks up into the man's hazelbrown eyes. His smile catches her off guard and she is lost for words. "I'm fine thank you. Are..are you ok?" she says. "Yes, I'll survive. Are you here for the speed-dating event?" "Yes, but I've decided not to do it. My last experience was bad enough!" "So was mine" he replies, "My ex-girlfriend tracked me down and decided to make a scene at the last one I attended." "So did mine. Now I've decided to just opt for fate and meet someone unexpectedly." she giggles. "Like me?" replies the man, looking deep into her eyes. "Yes, like you..." she replies. By now, Jen is blushing from ear to ear and she thinks about what Olivia said, that everyone deserves a second chance, and decides that she is going to take that chance. She thinks about his eyes and how sweet he is and decides she is going to ask him out on a date.
Olivia catches up with Jen and worryingly asks "Are you ok Jen?" Her eye catches a glimpse of the man with the hazelbrown eyes. She looks at the man again and, to her complete shock says "H..Hi Jake. What are you doing here?" "I'm going on a date." He stretches out his arm towards Jen and smiles.
Jennifer, a bit confused, asks her "Olivia, do you know him?" to which she jealously replies "Jen, this is Jake, my ex-boyfriend."
No comments:
Post a Comment