Total Pageviews

Mar 29, 2012

Job Hunting - What a challenge...

So it's been a year and many interviews later and I'm still jobless and broke. I get phone calls and interviews but never a call back. I have changed my CV three times in the last year with help from others and I still can't seem to get a job. Most say it's because I lack experience but if you go back and look at the jobs I've done through the years, it accumulates to at least four years in different industries. Besides, how am I supposed to gain experience if a company won't give me the chance?

It's difficult to accept that I'm part of the 23% unemployed in South Africa, especially considering that I've studied my ass off over the last 5 years and still busy completing my Degree in Public Relations Management , given my blood, sweat and tears, jumped at every possible opportunity available yet still lack experience or some other requirements.

Some say I am too picky. Maybe that's the case but considering that I studied 5 years to become a communication specialist in any industry, I don't think its fair to apply for a PA / Receptionist job or Sales Manager position. One, because I don't like the monotonous feeling of sitting behind a desk, doing the same thing day after day and two if I wanted to become a Sales person I would have studied Sales and Marketing. Three, do I try and apply for a Junior PR position, I still lack experience....

I would love to work in the online sphere, doing social media, working on statistics, informing people and I'm especially interested in environmentally friendly initiatives. I love doing different things, working with a team that is as passionate and open-minded as I am and who appreciates creativity, opinions and encourages personal growth. Am I too picky and aiming for the impossible?

It's so demotivating to know that it doesn't matter how hard you work, how much you know but.... who you know...

"Be patient, your time will come" is the advice from friends and family. All I can do is believe...

No comments:

Post a Comment