Heritage Day is one of the newly created South African public holidays. It is a day in which all are encouraged to celebrate their cultural traditions in the wider context of the great diversity of cultures, beliefs and traditions that make up the nation of South Africa.
Jan Braai (Jan Scannell) is the man behind the National Braai Day Initiative.
".... what Jan had in mind with the Braai Day Initiative...is nurturing and embracing a common South African culture, which is shared across all races and genders. Not one South African person can tell you that they have never witnessed a braai. Even in rural areas they light a fire and put their meat on it to cook." ~ Archbishop Desmond Tutu (The Times 12/09/2008).
I'm sure half of South Africa spent the day communicating around a braai today, eating chips, boerewors, chicken, a choppie or two and salads! I think it is an incredible initiative to spend National Heritage Day doing.
Today I itroduced my mom to Kyle's family. We spent the day chatting, braai'ing, laughing, eating and eating ;).
What a fun day! Can't wait until next year!





fantastic post and Thanks for sharing this info. It's very helpful.
ReplyDeleteheritage hotel in jaipur
Thank you Vipul. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :)
Delete