Total Pageviews

Sep 12, 2012

Hemophobes

Yesterday I got a phone call from the Western Province Blood Transfusion Service....

I got asked if I wanted to donate blood again and my answer was 'I don't know' because of what happened to me the first time I did it on Mandela Day. I blogged briefly about my experience a few weeks ago.

Basically what happened is I passed out, woke up with nurses around me and felt very weak. I got a low blood pressure injection half an hour later and my body was weak for weeks afterwards. I went to the doctor and asked him why this happened to me and he said it is a subconscious psychological problem - fear of blood which is called Hemophobia.

It seems silly to think that I might have a phobia because I am a very strong person by nature, but thinking back to situations in my past where I was confronted by 'bloody' situations, I panicked and almost fainted too.

*sigh* - I'm going to explore if I am indeed a Hemophobe in years to come. Hope not!


Human Blood Cells

No comments:

Post a Comment